Sunday 17 April 2016

SMAHS HITS

Generally speaking I do not listen to the smahs hits such as Queen's or Guns'n'Roses songs. I like them but from time to time during some party or concert, but usually - as you know - I listen to the alternative or classic music. However, it doesn't mean that I do not appreciate good music! Mostly if I consider something to be valuable, it doesn't matter which kind of music it is.

As a exemple I must mention the British band Coldplay. From time to time I would like to listen to something else, something different, but still "in good taste". This band is for me some kind of "diversion", some change from my favourite, classic music. To my mind, Coldplay is a band which doesn't construct the image through the scandals and it's still faithful to its values. Moreover, Coldplay has very wise songs! Just try to listen to the songs like "Yellow" or "Fix you"! Those tracks are very exceptional and I recommend you to listen to them :)

However my favourite Coldplay's song (and also one of the most popular) is "Viva la Vida". 



As you certainly know, the song's Spanish title "Viva la Vida" is taken from the painting, created by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. I think that Live the Life is a accurate translation. When Chris Martin was asked about this painting and also life of Frida Kahlo he said : She went through a lot of pain, of course, and then she started a big painting in her house that said 'Viva la Vida', I just loved the boldness of it. 

It's very interesting that the lyrics contain a lot of Biblical references for exemple pillars of sand are a reference of Biblical parable given by Jesus about the fool who built his house on sand and the wise man who built it on solid rock. Furthermore in this song we can hear "I know Saint Peter won't call my name" which refers to the popular belief of St. Peter guarding the gates of Heaven. 

Music is also very special because of the bells, chorus and orchestral sounds that make this song more sophisticated and even classic. In my opinion, all of those things give this song some air of intelligence, rare in today's most popular music. 


I think that Great Britain can be proud of this fantastic rock band which gives us this amazing and exceptional music :)

No comments:

Post a Comment