Sunday 29 May 2016

TORI AMOS

     Today I would like to return to the subject of film music. This time I'm going to focus on the song Siren, written and performed by Tori Amos. She wrote this song in 1998 for Great Expectations, film adaptation of the Charles Dickens novel of the same name. However the film's score was written by Scottish composer Patrick Doyle, a veteran of many literal adaptations.
Siren is the first Tori Amos's song that I heard and I felt in love with it at once. What I like the most in this song is an exceptional piano music. In fact, Tori Amos isn't only singer and song-writer, she is also a great pianist. By the way, I think that we have to always appreciate the artists who are classically trained musicians and who create the songs on their own. Besides, I must add that this American singer has a very good voice and a mezzo-soprano vocal range. She can modulate her voice in different ways and you can hear it for exemple in the song Siren.


      This is a very powerfull song, lyrically and melodycally, but to be honest the interpretation of this track is quite difficult. Furthermore, I think that everyone can have the own interpretation, but still we cannot be sure what Tori Amos wanted to tell us through this song. However, I think that we have one of the tips in the song's title. Siren makes me think about an accident and about an ambulance which rushes to help the casualties hence the words "You don't need a light on to guide you through the southern land". The light that guides you, makes me think about the light at the end of the tunnel that dying people see. Moreover, "almost brave, almost pregnant, almost in love" part can indicate a broken life or life interrupted by unexpected event (for exemple an accident as mentioned above). This can connect indirectly with the film's plot because Finn's life change unexpectedly thanks to a mysterious benefactor. The siren - which are usually loud and noisy - can also mean that something new, some big change is coming.
   For me, Tori Amos is one of the best singers who creates the modern, alternative music. She is a true artist who doesn't need scandals to promote the albums. Her music defends itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment